Shopping Cart

Categories

• Editor’s Note (37)
  • Features (58)
  • Green Personality Spotlight (20)
  • Media (27)
  • Press Release (11)
  • Recipes (109)
  • Summer Camps (2)

Newsletter Signup

Name:

Email:

Please answer 7+2=?

Detox Your Body

Cleanse your body, protect it from disease, and enhance your health system by detoxing with these supportive foods.

BLOOD
What does it do? The blood is a specialized bodily fluid that supplies substances and nutrients, such as sugar, oxygen, and hormones to our cells. It carries waste away from the cells and contains clotting agents. It is the circulatory system that holds the high-speed highways of the blood for transport.
Supportive foods – Blood building and circulatory supporting foods include dark green leafy vegetables such as dandelion greens, kale, collard greens, spinach, arugula and broccoli; also garlic, fresh ginger root, cayenne pepper, and protein-rich foods, apricots, beans, wheat germ, and tofu.

LYMPH
What does it do? As a part of the immune system, lymph nodes are located throughout the body and hold precious cells of the immune system. It’s important to keep your lymph nodes healthy to reduce the risk of colds and flus.
Supportive foods – Foods that support lymph node function include clean proteins such as wild-caught fish and grass-fed beef, citrus fruits, crimini mushrooms, turnip greens, spinach, and kale, garlic, parsley, carrots, asparagus, strawberries, and tomatoes.

LIVER
What does it do? Besides being the second-largest organ in the body (second to our skin), the liver processes virtually every transaction in the body – sorting, packaging, storing and using nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. This is one organ you’ll definitely want to nurture.
Supportive foods – There are two main detoxification pathways of the liver—eat foods that nurture those systems, and you’ll receive support in return. Foods include beets, leafy greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, olive oil, flax seed oil, citrus fruits, garlic, cabbage, green tea, avocadoes, and artichokes.

GALLBLADDER
What does it do? The gallbladder’s main function is to act as a place of safe-keeping for bile, the green substance the liver produces. When signaled to do so, the gallbladder releases bile to digest fats and cholesterols.
Supportive foods – Specific nutrients help to maintain the quality and integrity of the bile for digestion – without them, the bile become thick, sluggish, and coagulated, causing gall stones. Foods which help maintain integrity include beets, apples, cucumber, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, lemon, flax seed oil, and sweet potato.

PANCREAS
What does it do? The pancreas manufactures and secretes the enzymes necessary for digestion, including those that help digest proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
Supportive foods – Foods that support the pancreas include anti-inflammatory foods and foods that help maintain healthy blood sugar, including blueberries, cherries, broccoli, garlic, grapes, spinach, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and tofu.

KIDNEYS
What do they do? The main function of the kidneys is to filter and clean the blood. They also regulate blood pressure, minerals (including potassium, sodium, chloride, calcium, and phosphorous), and acidity levels within the body.
Supportive foods – Foods that support kidney health include anti-inflammatory foods and foods which support mineral balance, including parsley, bell peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, apples, garlic, onions, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, grapes, fish and olive oil.

INTESTINES
What do they do? Both the small and large intestines work with the absorption and elimination processes of our food and its nutrients. Keeping our digestive system healthy also keeps other systems healthy, such as our lymph and blood.
Supportive foods – Healthy intestines require a healthy balance of good bacteria and proper elimination, enabling this system to do its job. Supportive foods include insoluble and soluble fibers such as flax seeds, beans, green leafy vegetables, oats, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and more. Probiotic rich foods such as yogurt, kefir, kombucha and other fermented foods are also extremely useful.

Please note: Eating a healthy, balanced, clean diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, clean proteins, anti-inflammatory fats, fiber, and more will also keep your body happy and healthy!

Please also note: None of the information provided is meant to treat or diagnose disease or ailments. Always consult your doctor before starting a new dietary or exercise regime.

Maya E Nahra, RD, LD – Registered Dietitian, Holistic Nutritionist – IntentfulChef.com
9:57 am | by greenlivingaz

35 Responses to “Detox Your Body”

1. Lynda says:

Gonna try this

2. Christine says:

This is great. The information is easy to understand and clear enough for anyone to easily incorporate it into their diet. Thank you!

3. rachel says:

amazing how leafy greens of one sort or another are listed in just about every one of these. so many reasons to eat them, it’s a shame more people don’t.

4. Sandra Hall says:

This is very helpful information for people that are concerned with their health. I always promote healthy, organic, food choices.
    Thanks!

5. Stephanay says:

Very helpful. Thanks for posting.

6. Carmen C says:

this is great, my husband and i have been chaning our eating habits, good to know we eat 80% of the stuff on here on regular basis; but now we know what organs the are good for. THanks!! Carmen

7. Valerie says:

Great article!! Will definitely be incorporating some more of these foods into my diet. However, non-grass-finished beef provide the same great protein as grass-fed!

Now, to find some good ways to eat kale…

• julie says:

you candehydrate kale to make chips, and they taste great… I blend kale into my smooties with spinach and bananas and berries. You an also make green goddess salad with kale… it’s really not that bad to eat

8. Heather says:

Hello, off topic, but I LOVE the pitcher in the picture at the top of the page. Do you know where it is from?

• greenlivingaz says:

Thanks! Glad you like it! It was taken by an independent photographer, so unfortunately we don’t know where it’s from.

9. holly says:

why is the gallbladder on the left side?

• greenlivingaz says:

Thanks for the keen eye! You’re right that the gallbladder is on the right side of the body. We weren’t aiming to diagram the location of organs in the body with this graphic, but to bring attention to the different areas of the body that can be better supported by adding certain foods to your diet.

• Beth 1934 says:

This is awesome ad very easy to understand . I have IBS and almost all food green or rough ,nuts and grains don’t make me happy. Any suggestions? Thank you .Beth

• greenlivingaz says:

Great! Glad you liked it. We unfortunately don’t have any suggestions for your dietary concerns, but perhaps you could raise them with your naturopath, dietician or physician.

• Lisa says:

My gallbladder is on the left along with the rest, liver, appendix. Heart is on the left, its called Situs Inversus.

• greenlivingaz says:

Thanks! We weren’t aiming to diagram the location of organs in the body with this graphic, but to bring attention to the different areas of the body that can be better supported by adding certain foods to your diet.

10. tonya says:

Thanks for the info, great info! Is venison considered a “clean protein”? I am thinking yes, as it’s very lean & they generally feed on greenery (grass). Thanks again!!

• greenlivingaz says:

As long as they are raised on their natural food source, free from pesticides, hormones, or other harmful chemicals, they are considered clean.

11. I was sure one of the cleansing food would be sugar cookies but I couldn’t find them anywhere.

12. Anni Nolan says:

Milk thistle is brilliant for detoxing the liver whether in tablet form or tincture. :)

13. I found this article through Pinterest and I LOVE it. I did print this out and have it on the kitchen board for easy reference. I just started a juicing only cleansing and I always have to mix the veggies with fruits for diversity. I never ever before eat kale before, and not I’m drinking it daily and I am amazed how great that green leaf is.

14. Ruthie Maison says:

I find so many interesting articles or recipes on Pintrest, but they do not have a print icon so I can print just the article or the recipe. Once in a while I find one that has a little print icon on it . I wanted this article, and so I had to right click my mouse button and click on print., and it printed 8 pages long, wasting my ink, which is almost gone. Now I have to throw away half of the stuff that was printed. I am a 74 year old widow who lives on a small pension, so it hurts when I waste paper and ink. So is there a way that a print icon can be added to your article so that we can just print the article and nothing else. That would be a big help. Thanks,
    Ruthie

• greenlivingaz says:

I’m sorry that printing this article used so much paper and ink. Thank you for the suggestion of adding a print icon. We will consider adding that moving forward.

15. What a great list of nutritious detoxifying foods to inspire us all to clean up our diets – and the graphic is fantastic too.

If your diet has been less than squeaky clean for a while, it’s also worth considering taking some herbal medicines to help support and repair its detoxification capacity – milk thistle is one that comes to mind, and has proven benefits for liver function.

16. Ana says:

Thanks for this! I’ve been looking around the internet for some of these tips and by far this is the best one.

17. [...] tastes bitter is good for the ol’ liver.  Think dandelion greens, dark leafy greens, etc.  Here is a good list to use if you are interested in what foods are good for specific [...]

18. Raw Vegan says:

If you are concerned about healthy nutrition, you will want to look into the growing movement for locally grown food. By buying produce from local small farms you get a fresher product. It hasn’t been shipped across country in refrigerated cars! If organically grown, it won’t be laden with pesticides.

19. Piri D says:

I found your article on Pinterest while looking for detox as I made a decision to take care of my body and live a healthy life. I like how you highlighted the important role of our inside body parts. Often a lot of focus is on the outside, while if we eat a balanced diet and take care of our inside the outside will be just fine as well.

I read somewhere that if it doesn’t come from the ground, or doesn’t have a mom don’t eat it. Whenever possible eat locally grown fresh foods and forget anything processed.

You have only one body so take care of it.
    Thanks for the detailed info.

20. dinle says: